January 3, 2009

God Takes Good Care of Us

My wife has always counted on God to help her when she needs to find a new job and it’s amazing to watch Him make things work out. Here are just a few examples from the past week:

She was informed on Wednesday that the company she interviewed with last month had decided to hire her, but unfortunately, the company was purchased and the new Owners will not be bringing any new employees onboard. It was sad that she was so close, but good to know that her interviewing skills are still sharp. Plus, this company may decide to hire her at some point down the road.

While we had hoped that she could seamlessly transition to a new job, it wasn’t in the cards. However, she received her final check from her company yesterday and it was much, much more than we thought it would be. She expected to receive 3 days pay for the end of December and 3 days of pay for her cashed in vacation time. Well, the check was for 13 days of pay for the end of December and 3 days of pay for her vacation time. After taxes and a $121 contribution to her 401(k), the check came to $2,150.26! This as a huge blessing and will buy us even more time while my wife looks for a new job.

My wife also received a call from a friend who offered her $360 if she would help her with her work one day this month. That’s good money for one day’s worth of work. My wife offered to help this friend last year when she was in a pinch, and although she did not accept the offer, she did remembered it and is now returning the favor.

My wife filed for unemployment last week and received a call from them yesterday. The lady told her that if she waited just one week, it would put her in a higher income quarter from which they calculate her benefits. This small suggestion had a big impact on her benefits, as they increased from $375/week to $450/week. Granted, she will miss out on one unemployment check because of the delay, but it will only take a few weeks to make up the missed check.

And finally, my wife has begun watching our neighbor’s child will probably earn $120 or more this month for just a few hours of work. Our neighbor’s child is a very good kid and my wife can take care of her and search online for jobs at the same time.

We’re confident that God will provide my wife with a great new job, but in the meantime, He’s taking pretty good care of us.

5 comments:

Lyford said...

1 Cor 10:13 Every test that you have experienced is the kind that normally comes to people. But God keeps his promise, and he will not allow you to be tested beyond your power to remain firm; at the time you are put to the test, he will give you the strength to endure it, and so provide you with a way out.

You guys have a great attitude!
God Bless

Anonymous said...

Hell yeah he is! We're all his little babies ;) I'm glad things are looking up for you guys, we're gonna have a great '09!!!

1MansMoney said...

Lyford - thank you for the very appropriate scripture. Very true.

J. Money - I'm feeling good about 2009 too! Thanks as usual for your support.

-1MansMoney

Anonymous said...

You know, sometimes I find myself questioning my resolve when put to the Lord's challenges, but your post has reminded me that there are things to be thankful for, no matter how small.

Your attitude is amazing and inspiring. I wish you guys the best of luck while your wife looks for another job. I know it's stressful in this market, but I suspect that God has good things in store for her. It only requires patience and a willingness to be open, which you have in abundance it seems.

1MansMoney said...

Kristy,

Thank you for the kind comment. My wife is the one teaching me to be more aware of all of our many blessings.

I'm sure God has great things planned for all of us in 2009 and beyond.

-1MansMoney